So.. I will officially be 30 in 3 yrs 6 mos 1 day — but who’s counting right?
Thirty seems so far, yet so close… like it’s just there daunting me. When I turned 25 things felt different. More mature, not 21 anymore (haha) and officially closer to 30 than 20. If we were rounding I would round-up not down…
I don’t think I will mind being 30. Everyone says things are a little easier, life falls more “in place.” Things are more “settled.” – Those are love words to my type A personality.
Right now, everything is in limbo. I seriously move almost every year, apartment to apartment to house with roommates to living alone to who knows?? I have calculated that since high school I typically stay at a job for two years then I up and change sometimes to completely different fields. Let’s not even talk about the guys that have weaved in and out of my life these last 6 years.
Anyways… my friend from work sent me this link: 30 Things Every Women Should Know by the Time They are 30.
I thought it would be fun just to see where I am at on this list…. even though I already have a bucket list and a year-to-year goal list. (Can’t you tell I am type A now?)
By 30, you should have …
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come. — I got the boyfriends that already make me see how far I have come!
2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family. – I have furniture that didn’t come from family…but I won’t say any of its decent. haha.
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour. – Yeah.. I think I could pull this off.
4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying. – I have the purse just need the suitcase and the umbrella.
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond. – Sure…
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age. – Yep… I have some funny stories! Thanks college!
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age — and some money set aside to help fund it. – Hopefully I do have an old age, but I probably need to work on the money part.
8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account — all of which nobody has access to but you. – Got all this.. except I don’t really use my voicemail.
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded. – Mines not!
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry. – Yes. I have a couple. 🙂
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra. – I have been thinking lately, about how I really might need those first two things.
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it. – Coach purse.
13. The belief that you deserve it. – Yep.
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30. – I do need to take better care of my skin but I do have an excercise routine! Yah me! – I don’t know what that last part is about…
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better. — UGH… Not yet. Not yet. I still have 3 and 1/2 years…
By 30, you should know …
1. How to fall in love without losing yourself. — HUGE! This is why I am doing my dating experiment!
2. How you feel about having kids. – I already know… BUT after watching my friends have kids I understand how they can change things but better and worse.
3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship. – I am still not very good really at any of these – but I am working on it and I still have time.
4. When to try harder and when to walk away. – A lot better than I used to be!
5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next. – Hmm…
6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town. – I do know all my great-grandmothers names! I can sew myself but maybe an actual tailor wouldn’t be such a bad idea.
7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to. –Got this down already a year and some months under my belt!! I am so glad I have had this opportunity.
8. Where to go — be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat — when your soul needs soothing. – 1. To God 2. the gym 3 My car.
9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents. – Really??…genetics are so unfair?
10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over. – Mine wasn’t that bad.
11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love. – Pretty sure I have this down.
12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long. – I understand this as well.
13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally. – Got it!!
14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault. – Ohhhh man.. I am a very apologetic person. Very much working on this.. It really does need to stop. Sorry! – Just kidding.
15. Why they say life begins at 30 – Guess I will learn this when I get there.
I guess I am not doing too shabby eh?